The Initiative participated in several Ohio conferences, tradeshows, and exhibitions, including:
July 13-15, 2008 - OFA 08
OIAI participated in the floriculture annual meeting OFA Short Course in Columbus, OH from July 13-15, 2008. At the meeting, the Initiative staff presented OIAI information and Agritech 2009 materials. They also actively sought out Ohio companies from the floriculture industry that might be interested in trade with Israel and participating in the Ohio booth at Agritech 2009.
September 16 - 18, 2008 - The 2008 Ohio State University Farm Science Review (FSR08)
The Initiative presented Israeli agriculture technologies, companies, and organizations at the Ohio State University’s (OSU) Farm Science Review (FSR) from September 16 - 18, 2008. At this event, the Initiative sponsored an Israeli agriculture pavilion that made Israel the only foreign country to have its own pavilion at the FSR. Despite being threatened by severe winds that knocked over tents and displays, the event drew over 126,000 attendees who came together to browse the offerings of the agriculture industry.
Agriculture experts and marketing representatives showcased the Israeli irrigation, fertilizer, greenhouse, dairy, poultry, aquaculture, and other agri-technologies and products in the pavilion. The Initiative presented visitors with products and services of a record 29 Israeli companies which included:
- AgroMind - Systems for automatic data collection from plant environments;
- AgroSoft - Software for agriculture; Amiad Filtration Systems - Filtration systems for agriculture; Arad - Water meters for domestic, agriculture, and waterworks industries;
- Arkal Industries - Water treatment filters and plastic leisure garden products;
- Automation for Agriculture - Gear motors for ventilation in greenhouses, poultry houses, & dairy barns;
- Danziger - Breeding and producing high quality flower varieties for growers;
- Dorot Automatic Control Valves - Valves for agricultural, industrial & waterworks applications;
- E.I.D. Electronics - Custom electronic monitor and control solutions;
- Gavish Control Systems, Ltd. - Computerized systems for greenhouses, fish & dairy farms, and feed centers;
- Ginegar Plastic Products, Ltd. - Field, mulch, and greenhouse covers;
- Lachish Industries (RMH) - Producers of feed wagons for total mix ratio (TMR) for dairy farms; Netafim - Drip irrigation products and water management solutions;
- Nutrition & Husbandry of Livestock Ltd. - Pectolit - Anti-diarrhea feed supplement for suckling calves;
- Palram Industries Ltd. - Thermoplastic sheets; Paskal - Orchard, vineyard, and greenhouse items including hooks and clips;
- PicPlast - Coated woven plastic sheets;
- Plasson Ltd. - Industrial and agricultural plastics, automated poultry drinking & feeding systems;
- Polak Bros. Industries Ltd. - CowKool - Dairy farms cow cooling system;
- Polysack - ChromatiNet, Aluminet, & other shading, protection nets, and plastics (ground and greenhouse covers, support nets, mulching films);
- PolyZiv - Custom plastic foam pallets and storage containers;
- Raz Sprayers - Agricultural sprayers; Rotem Computerized Controllers - Agricultural management systems, and environment & irrigation controllers;
- S.A.E. Afikim (Afimilk) - Computerized dairy management systems;
- SCR Engineers Ltd. - Electronic and computerized systems for dairy, sheep, and goat farms; Shekel Scales - Customizable electronic scales and weighing systems;
- SUBflex LTD - Supplier of submersible, flexible net cages for aquaculture systems;
- Tefen Plastic Products Ltd - Plastic products for agricultural, garden, and industry applications;
- TST (Tzvi Sophisticated Technologies) - Computerized control systems for automatic feeder calves identification & weighing and for open ponds & recirculating aquaculture operations.
Also represented were Israel Export & International Cooperation Institute, Israel Cattlemen’s Association, Israel Dairy Board, and Israel Dairymen’s Association (Israel Cattle Breeders Association).
Upon the opening of the pavilion, Yakov Poleg, Israel’s Agriculture Attaché, met with visitors and spoke about Israel’s contributions to the field of agriculture. “The FSR was a very good opportunity to see so many exhibitors over such a number of agriculture areas,” Mr. Poleg said. “I would like to go again and recommend that Israeli companies do everything possible to use the event as an opportunity to promote their work.”
In addition, OIAI reps encouraged Israel pavilion visitors and Ohio agricultural companies present at FSR08 to participate in the Ohio booth at Agritech 2009.
December 3, 2008 - Ohio Farm Bureau Federation (OFBF) Hospitality Corner 2008
OIAI had a booth at the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation Annual Meeting’s Hospitality Corner in Columbus, OH on December 3 2008, where OIAI reps presented the Initiative’s activities, promoted trade opportunities with Israel, and recruited individuals and companies from Ohio to Agritech 2009. This was the fourth consecutive year that the OIAI participated in this event
January 12-14, 2009 - Ohio Produce Growers & Marketers Association (OPGMA) Congress 09
OIAI representatives participated in the Ohio Produce Growers & Marketers Association (OPGMA) 2009 Congress on January 12-14, 2009 in Sandusky, OH. There, they promoted the Initiative’s activities and focused on the Ohio booth at Agritech 2009 tradeshow. In addition, they approached and recruited Ohio green industry companies exhibiting in the Congress for Agritech 2009 and trade with Israel.
January 15, 2009 - Ohio Seed Improvement Association (OSIA) Annual Conference “2009 Ohio Certified Seed Growers’ School”
On behalf of the Initiative, OIAI’s colleague John Armstrong, Secretary/Manager of the Ohio Seed Improvement Association (OSIA), promoted the Ohio booth at Agritech 2009 to conference participants at the Ohio Seed Improvement Association Annual Conference “2009 Ohio Certified Seed Growers’ School” in Columbus, OH, on January 15, 2009.
January 17, 2009 - Ohio Aquaculture Association (OAA) 09 Annual Conference and Tradeshow
OIAI participated in the Ohio Aquaculture Association’s annual conference and tradeshow in Reynoldsburg, OH on January 17, 2009. The Initiative’s booth at the conference contained information promoting its Ohio-Israel aquaculture work, including technology transfer, trade, and internship program for Ohio aquaculture college students in Israel. In addition, the Initiative’s representative recruited companies to participate in the Ohio booth at Agritech 2009 to promote Ohio export to Israel. This was the fourth consecutive time the Initiative participated in the OAA’s annual meeting.
January 26-28, 2009 - Central Environmental Nursery Trade Show (CENTS)
OIAI participated in the Central Environmental Nursery Trade Show (CENTS) 2009, organized by ONLA (Ohio Nursery & Landscape Association) in Columbus, OH from January 26-28, 2009. OIAI trade mission alumnus, Jim Chatfield of OSU Extension horticulture, promoted the Initiative’s activities at the OSU booth at CENTS. During his four presentations at the conference he also focused on the Ohio booth at the Agritech 2009 tradeshow.
back to top
May 5-7, 2009 - Agritech 2009
The Initiative presented ten Ohio agribusinesses and seventeen Ohio agricultural and economic development regional organizations at a special Ohio booth at Agritech 2009 – the 17th International Agricultural Exhibition in Tel-Aviv Israel on May 5-7, 2009 (http://www.agritech.org.il/). Ohio was the only U.S. State to have a booth at the tradeshow. The triennial event drew over 30,000 visitors from Israel and around the world and introduced them to agricultural products and innovations in all areas of agriculture.
- The Ohio companies which participated in Agritech’s Ohio booth were:
- DLM Plastics (Findlay, Ohio) – makes custom designed and manufactured flexible products; Graminex (Deschler, Ohio) - produces non-solvent extracted flower pollen;
- Kinetico Incorporated (Newbury, Ohio) - manufactures water treatment equipment;
- Lauren International (New Philadelphia, Ohio) - engineers polymer products and materials;
- Prime Equipment Group (Columbus, Ohio) - manufactures, sells, and services innovative poultry processing equipment;
- Redex (Salem, Ohio) - manufactures and distributes the Udderly Smooth family of products for dry, chapped, and cracked skin;
- Sure to Grow (Beachwood, Ohio) – creates plant growth media technology specifically for greenhouse and hydroponics;
- Vernay Laboratories, Inc. (Yellow Springs, OH) - designs and manufactures precision elastomeric fluid control components;
- YSI, Inc. (Yellow Springs, Ohio) - designs sensor instrumentation and real-time monitoring systems for natural resources and aquatic life;
- YZ Enterprises, Inc. (Maumee, Ohio) – manufactures Almondina cookies.
Participating agricultural associations and organizations were:
- Ashland Area Council for Economic Development,
- Braintree Business Development Center,
- Center for Innovative Food Technology,
- Cincinnati USA Partnership,
- Cleveland Plus,
- Maumee Valley Growers,
- Ohio Aquaculture Association,
- Ohio Business Development Coalition,
- Ohio Department Agriculture,
- Ohio Department of Development,
- Ohio-Israel Agricultural Initiative of The Negev Foundation,
- Ohio Seed Improvement Association,
- Ohio Soybean Council, Ohio State University (OSU),
- Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center/OSU and Ohio State University Extension,
- Tuscarawas County Port Authority, and Wayne Economic Development Council
The Ohio booth at Agritech 2009 was a big success, with great exposure and many visitors who stopped by the booth to explore economic opportunities between their companies and Ohio. Many dignitaries attended the Ohio booth’s opening ceremony, including the U.S. Ambassador to Israel and Israel’s Minister of Agriculture.
The Initiative’s team returned from the tradeshow with an extensive list of contacts which included companies that showed interest in collaborating with the Ohio companies and organizations represented by the Initiative. The Initiative is currently helping to make connections between the 27 Ohio companies and organizations and the Israeli and international companies interested in collaboration and trade.
back to top