July 12-14, 2009 - OFA 09
OIAI participated in the international floriculture annual meeting “OFA Short Course” in Columbus, OH from July 12-15, 2009. At this show, which attracts about 10,000 visitors and about 1500 exhibitors from around the world, the Initiative staff presented materials about OIAI activities, Israel Ag Booth at Farm Science Review 2009, and Ohio booth at AgroMashov 2010. In addition, OIAI staff actively sought out and recruited Israeli companies interested in being presented at Farm Science Review 2009. They also looked for Ohio companies that might be interested in trade with Israel and in participating in the Ohio booth at AgroMashov 2010. As a result, several Israeli companies signed up for the Israel Ag booth at FSR09.
September 22-24, 2009 - Israel Agriculture Booth at the Ohio Farm Science Review 2009 Agricultural Tradeshow
The Initiative sponsored an Israel Agriculture Booth at Ohio State University’s Farm Science Review (FSR) 2009 Agricultural Tradeshow from September 22-24, 2009. Israel, a world leader in agricultural technology, was the only foreign country to have a booth at the exposition. The Farm Science Review (www.fsr.osu.edu) is one of the largest expositions of agricultural technology in the Midwest, featuring over 600 exhibitors of agricultural equipment, supplies, and machinery. About 130,000 people attend the event, which takes place at the Molly Caren Agricultural Center in London, Ohio.
The Israel Agriculture Booth, a 24’X10’ booth (booth #10) located in the Association Building on lot 577, on the corner of Silage St. and Soybean Ave., presented Israeli agribusinesses that offer the latest in Israeli agricultural innovations, technology, and equipment in dairy, poultry, aquaculture, horticulture, greenhouse, scales, feeders, filtration, irrigation systems, valves and meters, plastics for agriculture use, automation and controllers, and more. A total of 21 Israeli agribusinesses were presented by the Initiative at the Israel Ag Booth:
- Afimilk - Computerized dairy management systems (www.afimilk.com)
- Amiad Filtration Systems - Filtration systems for agriculture (www.amiad.com)
- Arad - Water meters for domestic, agriculture, and waterworks industries (www.arad.co.il)
- A.R.I.- Flow control accessories (www.arivalves.com)
- Arkal Industries - Water treatment filters and plastic leisure garden products (www.arkal.co.il)
- Danziger - Breeding and producing high quality flower varieties for growers (www.danziger.co.il)
- Dorot - Automatic control valves for agricultural, industrial & waterworks applications
- Gavish Control Systems, Ltd. - Computerized systems for greenhouses, fish & dairy farms, and feed centers (www.gavish.org.il)
- Ginegar Plastic Products, Ltd.- Greenhouse cover and mulch films (www.ginegar.com)
- MGH - Turkey nesting systems (www.mghnests.com)
- Netafim - Drip irrigation products and water management solutions (www.netafim.com)
- ODIS Irrigation Equipment, Ltd -Irrigation equipment (www.odis.co.il)
- Palram Industries Ltd.- Thermoplastic sheets (www.palram.com)
- Paskal - Orchard, vineyard, and greenhouse items including hooks and clips (www.paskal.biz)
- Plasson Ltd. - Industrial and agricultural plastics, automated poultry drinking & feeding systems (www.plasson.com)
- Polygal - PC multi wall sheets for agriculture (www.polygal.com)
- Polysack - ChromatiNet, Aluminet, & other shading, protection nets, and plastics (ground and greenhouse covers, support nets, mulching film(s) (www.polysack.com)
- PolyZiv - Custom plastic foam pallets and storage containers (www.polyziv.co.il)
- Rotem Computerized Controllers - Agricultural management systems, and environment & irrigation controllers (www.rotem.com)
- Shekel Scales - Customizable electronic scales and weighing systems (www.shekelonline.com)
- Tefen Plastic Products Ltd. - Plastic products for agricultural, garden, and industry applications (www.tefenplastic.com)
Fact sheets about each company were available to booth visitors. A list of all 21 companies with a description and website were handed to booth visitors as a resource for follow up. Representatives of all the 21 Israeli agribusinesses were invited to participate and promote their respective companies. Representatives from, Amiad, Arad, Arkal, Danziger, MGH, Plasson, Rotem and Tefen were able to attend the tradeshow. They spent time in the Israel Ag Booth and covered the tradeshow grounds, providing information about their companies’ products and services. The goal was to enhance awareness in the Midwest agriculture community about increased sales of these Israeli agricultural products and services.
A video about Israel’s agriculture sectors, printed materials about agritourism to the Holy Land, and general information about Israel’s agriculture were featured at the booth. Booth visitors were invited to sample Almondina cookies, manufactured by YZ Enterprises of Maumee, OH. These cookies, which are sold in stores throughout the U.S., have been exported to Israel with the help of the Initiative.
Visitors to the Israel Agriculture Booth had the opportunity to learn about the Initiative’s activities, including the Student Internship program and the January 13-14, 2010 Ohio Agribusiness Booth at AgroMashov Tradeshow in Israel. The Initiative’s staff were on hand to answer any questions by the visitors about the Israeli companies and the Initiative’s activities.
A press release titled “Israel Agriculture Booth at the Ohio Farm Science Review Agricultural Tradeshow” about the Israel Ag booth at FSR09 and the 21 Israeli companies presented in it was issued by the Initiative on September 1, 2009 and distributed to the media, state & federal, academia & extension, and other targeted people.
A success story from the tradeshow is of Israeli company, Tefen Plastic Products Ltd., who was successfully identified during FSR and signed an agreement with an Ohio distributor interested in their products. As a result, this company sold a number of fertilizer injection units in Ohio.
3rd Annual Stinner Summit, Agroecosystems Management Program, OSU/OARDC, Oct. 16, 2009
The initiative participated in the 3rd Annual Stinner Summit presented by the Agroecosystems Management Program of OSU/OARDC, which took place at Malabar Farms, Lucas, OH on October 16, 2009. Over 100 people attended the summit. The Initiative had a booth at the summit, where promotional OIAI materials were displayed. Sarah Horowitz, of the Initiative, took part in the summit and promoted OIAI’s activities, including the student Ag internship program, the Ohio booth at AgroMashov 2010, on site MiniDairy processing, and Kosher certification.
OSU Renewable Energy Workshop, Nov. 12, 2009
The initiative participated in the OSU Renewable Energy Workshop presented by the OCAMM Program at the School of Food, Agricultural, and Biological Engineering of OSU/OARDC. The workshop took place at OARDC, Wooster, OH on November 12, 2009. About 150 people attended the workshop. The Initiative had a booth at the tradeshow part of the workshop, where promotional OIAI materials were displayed. Sarah Horowitz, of the Initiative, took part in the workshop and promoted OIAI’s activities, including the Ohio booth at AgroMashov 2010, Israel’s Alternative Energy Solutions, and the student Ag internship program. In addition, slides describing the Initiative, Israel’s Alternative Energy activities, and the Ohio booth at AgroMashov were shown continuously to workshop participants during breaks. At the workshop, Horowitz identified four Ohio companies that showed interest in trade with Israel and potentially participating in the Ohio booth at AgroMashov 2010.
Ohio Farm Bureau Federation (OFBF) Hospitality Corner 2009, 12/2/09
OIAI had a booth at the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation Annual Meeting’s Hospitality Corner, Columbus, OH on December 2, 2009, where OIAI representatives presented the Initiative’s activities, promoted trade opportunities with Israel, and recruited individuals and companies from Ohio to AgroMashov 2010. This was the fifth consecutive year that the OIAI participated in the OFBF hospitality corner.
Arava MoPatuach MOPen 2010, 1/27-28/2010
The Arava MoPatuach MOPen 2010 event (http://agri.arava.co.il) was held at the Yair Experimental Agricultural Station in Israel’s Arava region near Hatzeva. The Yair Experimental Agricultural Station, founded in 1991, has numerous greenhouses where experimentation with irrigation, fertilization and greenhouse climate takes place. They also have departments that focus on aquaculture for ornamental fish, orchards, grape vines, organic agriculture, cut flowers and herbs and spices.
The Arava MoPatuach MOPen 2010 show included many peripheral events to the exhibition, including performances, a "farmers market" where they sold locally manufactured soaps, handcrafts, etc., a children's play area, food stands, etc. There were about 140 exhibitors including several from outside the agricultural area such as car dealers and accessories, banking, and investment services.
Marc Coles, OIAI Israel consultant, attended the Arava MoPatuach MOPen 2010 agricultural tradeshow on January 28, 2010 and made a number of good contacts with various exhibitors, by canvassing the tradeshow.